Access to Records

How long are care records kept?

This varies depending on the service you receive from us. Generally, records are only kept for a few years after you stop receiving a service. Some records are kept much longer than others, for example, the records of children who have been in care or who have been adopted.

How do I request copies of my care records?
You need to complete Nugent’s Access to Records form and provide proof of identity.

How do I request copies of someone else’s care records?
You need to complete Nugent’s Access to Records Form 1 and provide evidence of entitlement to access. In the case of a living person this may include a Letter of Authority or Lasting Power of Attorney.

If the person whose records you wish to see is deceased you will need to complete Nugent’s Access to Records Form 2 (Deceased Persons) and provide evidence of their death and evidence of your relationship to them.

Links to forms are at the bottom of this page.

Is there a fee for copies of care records?
In most cases we will not charge a fee for providing a copy of your records.  However, there may be occasions where we may have to charge a reasonable fee for providing a copy of your records.  We will always explain why and this might be because they were particularly excessive or the costs of postage were prohibitive.

How long will it take to receive copies of my care files?
The General Data Protection Regulations state that copies of records must be provided within 30 days of receiving a completed application form.

Can access be denied?
There are sometimes circumstances when access can be denied:

  • Where disclosing the personal data would reveal information which relates to and identifies another person, unless that person has consented to the disclosure.
  • Where permitting access to the care records that would be likely to cause serious harm to the physical or mental health of the applicant.

Adoption Records

Different rules apply for access to Adoption Records. All enquiries for access to Adoption Records must be made through Nugent Adoption. For information please ring on 01744 613041. Or go to Nugent Adoption

Historical Records

Nugent has deposited historical records which relate to Liverpool-based institutions formerly run by us, including British Home Children, with the Liverpool Record Office, Archives & Family History Department, 3rd Floor,  Central Library, William Brown Street, L3 8EN. Requests for these records should be made direct to the Liverpool record office.

Files held by the Liverpool Record Office are subject to the 100 year rule and files that fall within this period are closed to the public.

Nugent does hold a small number of admittance registers for some other institutions which cover:

– Blackbrook House, St Helens 1902 – 1954
– Kelton House of Providence 1897 – 1967
– Greenfield Orphanage, Billinge 1903 – 1962

Please note that requests for information less than 100 years old from Nugent will, in most cases, require the permission of the individual (if still living) and proof of identity, or in the case of someone deceased, proof of death.

Please download the Access to Records Form that best suits your needs below and return it with copies of the necessary proofs of identification to:

Support our work caring for, educating, protecting and inspiring those in need.

For 140 years we have been providing support to children, young people, adults and families who are vulnerable or at risk across the North West through our schools, care homes, community and social work services. Your donations can help us support more people.

Donate Online

Caring for, educating, protecting and inspiring those in need.